Beating a Dead Horse…

Barbaro_a_real_american_hero_1

According to the latest research, 11 out of 10 people didn?t realize Barbaro was a horse. Below are actual quotes from various writers, doctors and general idiots:

"This horse was a hero" –David Switzer, executive director of the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association
-This horse was a hero in the same sense that Captain Caveman was.  Did I miss something? Was he pulling babies out of raging fires?

?When the biography of Barbaro is written it could easily be called ?Fighter? ? –Don Agriss, Horse Racing Editor for The Sports Network
-Or it could be called "Horse"

"Throughout this period he has been a calm, relaxed horse," –Dr. Dean Richardson, chief of surgery at New Bolton
-Perhaps because he had no idea he was about to be put to death.

"In diagnosing the public’s unreasoning love for Barbaro, maybe it comes down to the fact that he never lied to us" –Sally Jenkins, Washington Post
-I guess it’s true, he never lied to us. You know who else never lied? Jaws. He was a brutally honest Great White shark. You knew all he wanted to do was eat you.

"On the track, his trainer and jockey reported that there seemed no end to what he was willing to give. "Bottomless," was how they described his heart." –Sally Jenkins, Washington Post
-Potentially "Delicious," described a starving Serbian…

?He represented those qualities you like not just about American sport, but about Americana. You don’t have to be the very best to capture our hearts, but if you want to be the very best and you fight to be the very best, we’ll give you our best.? –Rick Maese from The Baltimore Sun
-Was that last part lifted from a 1980?s Hulk Hogan speech?

"Barbaro was an honest, blameless competitor. Unlike so many people in the sports pages, he was neither felonious, nor neurotic." –Sally Jenkins, Washington Post
-More with the honesty. We get it, a horse can’t lie, it can’t fucking talk, animals don’t talk, this isn’t Looney Tunes. Oh wait, maybe it is…

"Maybe Barbaro, as the fallen champion, was reminiscent of a country that was seriously wounded on 9/11 and has been wobbly ever since.  Maybe the horse’s medical roller coaster struck a chord at a time when a great American city, ravaged by nature and neglect, still can’t stand up." –William C. Rhoden (aka the raging Teradactyl on The SportsReporters)
-Bill, get a fucking clue dumb-ass, you are relating the death of a horse with the most tragic event America has seen on its soil since the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

"They are engineered so close to the margins of what is physically possible that when one thing fails, it can cause the failure of the whole animal." –Jane Smiley, Special to the Washington Post
-You are close, Jane Smiley, and we appreciate it, but it seems he was "engineered" beyond the margins of what is possible.  And you still make them race at unnatural speeds.  And hey, maybe that is fine.  Just don’t fucking cry about it when his little ankle snaps.

"Here was the champion athlete living like a regular guy – how could the world not fall in love with him? – and how our hearts broke when his hind leg shattered. It was a tragedy happening before our eyes on live television." –Marcella Peyre-Ferry, Special to The Phoenixville News
-Yes, yes?. Barbaro was just a regular guy. One of us. He wore jeans on Saturday, watched football on Sunday, had the occasional beer with the fellas down at the local pub, was a great joke teller too. What I’ll miss most is riding in his pick-up and blaring Metallica.

?For those who scour the sports pages every morning, Barbaro was quite a horse, and he’ll be remembered as such. For so many others, he was so many other things.? –Rick Maese, The Baltimore Sun
-Like potential glue for my arts and crafts project.

1. Joe Blow

January 30, 2007 at 5:06 pm

That horse has the most amazing resuce boots I’ve ever seen

2. Kashyakk

October 27, 2007 at 5:41 pm

This is disgusting. “…when his little ankle snaps.”? You’re so pleasant. Barbaro is part of our nation’s love story.

3. Kashyakk

October 27, 2007 at 5:41 pm

4. Kashyakk

October 27, 2007 at 5:41 pm

5. I LUV BARBARO

February 19, 2008 at 2:54 am

THIS IS GOING TO THE LAW…HOW DISRESPECTFUL U SHLD BE ASHAMED!!!!!!

6. hey

March 17, 2008 at 9:41 pm

barbaro was a great horse, his death was tragic and terrible. millions were spent trying to save him

7. hey

March 17, 2008 at 9:44 pm

and this is just discusting, you must be a guy.

March 18, 2008 at 9:06 am

“discusting”?

I have a sneaky feeling you’ve been commenting on the ‘Lil Romeo post as well.

9. beebee

March 18, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Hey hey,

Re: “millions were spent trying to save him.”

–I don’t know if that is true or not but can you name one human’s life that people spent millions on to save?

10. This is not funny

April 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm

you are disgusting… I hope you rot in hell.

11. 2008ralph

April 18, 2008 at 8:50 am

Y should ppl spend time on saving a PERSONs life? HMMMM?????? Animals r WAY MORE IMPORTANT than ppl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the 2008ralph is for mystable) (thats my name on it)

12. 2008ralph

April 18, 2008 at 8:52 am

dont worry beebee. the other one this person made would make that person rot by itself! this one with the other is WAY WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. 2008ralph

April 18, 2008 at 8:52 am

14. Paint-Mare

August 21, 2008 at 3:15 pm

You disgust me.

15. Paint-Mare

September 21, 2008 at 2:47 am

This is so degrading. To have you people give your personal opinions on things that you have no idea about…and not just Barbaro and horse racing…but horses in general, it’s enough to make me spew my guts. I think the stupidity of people today takes me by such suprise that I have to puke.

16. HorseLuv

November 15, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Honestly, is this really neccesary? I am the owner of two horses, and there was absoulty no need for the creulty of your remarks about Barbaro. He was just as much an athelete as any human, and I don’t believe that you have any right to judge his owners or the people who supported him. I was one of those people and I find this disgusting. So just because he was an animal means he doesn’t deserve any respect? Any animal would have more kindness in their heart than you do obviously. Now I’m not a PETA supporter or anything but I truely find you disgusting.You obviously have no respect for any form of life, human or animal.

17. Misty

May 20, 2009 at 6:34 am

I agree COMPLETLY with you!