A tribute to ‘video game Jeremy Roenick’

Upon hearing the news of Jeremy Roenick announcing his retirement, we couldn’t help but look back to the key moment of his career, the moment that truly put the center of the Chicago Blackhawks on the map.  Yes, we’re talking about NHL ’94 on Sega Genesis.

Roenick was a beast in every sense of the word, nearly impossible to take down, dished out murderous body checks and flashed a one-timer that went through torsos; all this with a relatively modest rating of 87 out of 100.  He quickly became one of the most feared names in homes across the nation, quite possibly only taking a back seat to the immortal Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson.

To appropriately honor this man, er video game man, take some time today to abruptly check a random co-worker into a wall.

Enjoy the tribute.

Jeremy_roenick_sega_legend

A snapshot of our Forgotten Timeline 1986-2006, the Hernia recognizes one of the bigger moments of the mid 90’s, the stunning arrival of video game Jeremy Roenick.

Jeremy_roenick_excitement
No one and I mean no one was more giddy than Ron Barr about a sold out Chicago Stadium.  Advantage Roenick?  Really Ron?  Not exactly stunning news.

And last but not least, it’s the beginning of absolute dominance.  The 9:29 mark (37 seconds into the video) says it all.  The organ music barely finishes playing, only Roenick could pull that off.

1. Matt P

July 5, 2007 at 5:09 pm

That is precisely how I became a Roenick fan. The Blackhawks owned shit in “Sega Hockey ’94.” Matteau, Chelios, Smith, Murphy…

2. Paul

July 5, 2007 at 5:22 pm

The guy simply could NOT be brought down. Calling him a beast in that game is a little bit of an understatement.

More like my hero.

3. Peter Vecsey

July 5, 2007 at 8:46 pm

My sources tell me that Roenick’s career would have gone highly unnoticed if it wasn’t for this video game.

That is of course unless you actually watch hockey.

4. Marv

July 5, 2007 at 8:46 pm

My how the Hawks have fallen…

5. thunderpants

July 5, 2007 at 10:01 pm

he must’ve known a guy at EA Sports… he absolutely ate peoples lunch in that game

6. The Sports Hernia

July 6, 2007 at 9:07 am

Well put Matt, and Chelios was a beast in his own right, he was a pain in the ass to take down. He just never got the same love since he took a backseat to Roenick.

7. blogcabins

July 6, 2007 at 11:29 am

Wow…this brings back memories. I remember when I was thrilled that a video game actually had pictures of the players. Now….not so much. And yeah, that’s the only iteration of hockey that I’ve ever loved.

8. M. Joseph

July 6, 2007 at 2:12 pm

My roommate and I made our college dorm room the HQ for this game. Dormmates would come in at all hours to play the game, gain bragging rights, lose face, and yell much more than we really needed to yell…and yes, EVERYONE wanted to play with Roenick & the Hawks (and not just b/c we were going to school in Chi-town).

What a flashback!

9. JT

July 6, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Man if I could get my hands on that game again. I used to beat the computer so bad they didn’t even have numbers past 100. That was with the All-Star team mind you. Anyone out there remember swingers??? When JR makes Gretzky’s head bleed. I love it. Great career JR.

10. JDUB

July 6, 2007 at 6:51 pm

ONLY THE KINGS W/#99 (GREATONE) AND #17 (JARI KURI) WERE EVEN A MATCH FOR THE HAWKS IN THAT GAME. WE SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS BEATING EACH OTHER IN THAT GAME, AND MANY 12’S OF ROLLING ROCK (BEFORE THEY WERE BOUGHT)WERE CONSUMED. BEST HOCKEY GAME EVER! (’95 A VERY CLOSE SECOND)

11. The Test

July 6, 2007 at 7:04 pm

How can you not mention Swingers? “It’s not so much me as it is Roenick. He’s good.”

12. Omni

October 20, 2007 at 5:31 am

Crazy for video games then visit Couponalbum.com………….It is full of best discounts related to all categories including video games………..!!

13. ADE

February 6, 2009 at 11:35 pm

he was a spectacular video game athlete, possibly number two behind tecmo bo (aka God)

14. r4

June 22, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hi,

What are the benefits of playing video/computer games?