Sports caricature t-shirt review (Part 1)

Charles_barkley_thump_n_bump

Charles Barkley & Rick Mahorn  –  Thump ‘N Bump

This was clearly the inspiration to Shake & Bake in the movie "Talladega Nights."  But our question is, who is Thump and who is Bump?  Or maybe they meant it to be Thumb and Bump, since Mahorn mostly had his thumb up his own ass.  Regardless, this shirt amazes in almost every way possible.  Starting with Barkley’s ridiculously accurate chiseled biceps and the somewhat abstract depiction of his gigantic party gut, to Mahorn’s chubby, bloated look, the imaginative artist truly nailed both personas.  The sexual tension here between Barkley and Mahorn is palpable.

Sources say six different caricature artists were initially brought in, all of whom failed to fit Mahorn and Barkley’s asses within the 8"x8" parameters they were given, before eventually just replacing their lower halves with Hersey Hawkins and Johnny Dawkins.

If Chuck or Mahorn actually looked anywhere close to this during their days in Philly, it’s safe to say one of them would’ve killed Craig Ehlo and/or Mark Price during the Sixers’ ?flagrant foul rule implementing? playoff run of 1990.  And speaking of that run, the fact that they aren’t wearing their message-sending black sneakers is a crime in itself.

The biggest surprise of all here might be that Rick Mahorn was actually on one of these caricature t-shirts.  The least surprising?  The blood.

And where is Mike Gminski and Bob Thorton’s "Brick ‘n Hack" shirt in all of this?  Or was it Brick ‘n Flop?  Brick ‘n Sit?

Original_dream_team_3

The Original Dream Team

Strangely enough, these are real pictures of Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing and Scottie Pippen – a massive screw up that went unnoticed for many years. Their natural heads amazingly rival the exaggerated cartoon head of David Robinson.  And even in this cartoon drawing, you can see Stockton’s face saying "I’m very uncomfortable with Charles on me like this."

Sources on the set say Ewing immediately ate that ball out of Bird’s hand like a Gobstopper after the last picture was snapped, all while not sweating profusely.  Even more amazing, Stockton took his ball and threw a behind the back pass to Robinson, who violently threw one down on Bird.

Impressive work by the set director here in placing all three whities in positions of symmetry.  Still unclear as to why Stockton, Barkley, Robinson, Ewing and Magic were all wearing mouthpieces for the shoot.

Even more unclear is how awkward it must be for someone to reel off the Hall of Fame names on this roster and then say "Chris Mullen."  Oddly enough, to this day Mullen uses this artist rendering of himself for league publicity photos.

Straw_6
Darryl Strawberry

Created by the same team that did Amos n’ Andy, this caricature was clearly drawn after Darryl did a monster line of coke.  Just look at his face, he’s seeing God there.  Rumor has it that Straw was so busy partying, they actually brought in Jimmy Walker from ?Good Times? as a stand-in for the 5-minute sketch session.  Dyn-o-mite!!!

While many of you may think Paul Lo Duca and David Wright started the Mets awesome eyebrow-waxing trend, it’s pretty clear who started it after seeing the harsh wax job on Straw in this picture.  His nostrils however, can only be described as amazingly roomy and 100% proportionate to the rest of his face.

It obviously doesn’t belong in the same category as Keith’s, but kudos to the amazing subtle touch here on the mustache with the lowercase "m" for Mets.

And if that’s supposed to be the New York skyline to the left on Straw’s helmet, great job on another brilliant subtle touch.  If not, nice effort on that shitty, sloppy shadow.

July 30, 2007 at 10:09 am

Barkley and Mahorn killed the Cavs that year. And when I say kill, I mean physically KILL. Ehlo and Price got clothslined EVERY time they came down the lane, it was so much fun to watch. And no flagrant foul rule to boot. Ahh, the old days.

2. Marv

July 30, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Poor Craig Ehlo.

3. The Balls

July 30, 2007 at 4:40 pm

I like how Strawberry’s right foot is about to stomp on the Mets logo

4. Bruce

July 30, 2007 at 4:46 pm

I used to work for the company that made those shirts – Salem Sportswear in NH. It was a classic start-up that was formed in the owner’s garage, then grew to a huge company, thought they were bulletproof, had some massive financial problems and eventually went out of business. Interesting to see their stuff again after all these years.

5. Stills

July 30, 2007 at 4:47 pm

Why does Karl Malone’s finger look like cartoon poo?

6. GK

July 30, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Where’s Christian Laettner? And who the hell is that on the top right?

7. Stills

July 30, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Laettner is clearly blowing Stockton, that’s what that star is covering up.

Top right is Scottie Pippen and his amusement park slide nose.

8. Ricky - Sixers4guidos

July 30, 2007 at 6:44 pm

is it true that on the back of the Barkley & Mahorn shirt there was room for only one of their two asses?

I’m logging into E-Bay to find it, I want that shirt…

(any Manute Bol jersey?)

9. thatdude

July 30, 2007 at 6:54 pm

No Clyde???

10. Mr. Bad Example

July 30, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Where’s Clyde Drexler?

Practicing his dance moves, you say?

11. The Sports Hernia

July 30, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Ricky – I’ve scoured the web for that, it simply can’t be found, but it does exist.

thatdude – “No Clyde???” is what Drexler says every time he looks at that Dream Team t-shirt. Particularly when he locks eyes with Mullin in the bottom corner.

12. nathaniel

July 30, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Clyde and Christian were late editions to the Dream Team. As I recall they were named about a year after the rest of the team, thus not on the original promotion material.

13. Jim

July 31, 2007 at 12:32 pm

My friend had a shirt of the Buffalo Bills which read “Super Bowl Champs” he got from his gay uncle from Buffalo.

14. Hawkins

August 1, 2007 at 12:59 pm

I may have to take a digital photo of my Tom Chambers sweatshirt

15. Malibu

August 3, 2007 at 11:42 am

love the Dream Team story about how Jordan demanded Isiah not be on it. He was furious. But then Isiah dropped like 50 or something on Stockton the next time played him.

i dont know what that means but i thought id share

16. Cara Fletcher

August 6, 2007 at 1:02 pm

I love buying such T-shirts for my boyfriend as he is a huge basketball fan.He really likes them because they’re funny and interesting.

17. simon

August 23, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Ha I think I had that dream team t-shirt.

18. Ricky

February 29, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Hello

is possible to post the caricature t-shirt of 1991 or 1992 or 1993 Nba Champs, Chicago Bulls…?

19. Devon Smith

April 30, 2008 at 10:30 am

where are the pistons badboys t-shirt from 1989 ? A old girl friend swiped it away from me when I wasnt looking and I just want to get a reprint or xcopy of that t-shirt..did mort drucker draw these ? fro mad magazine ?

20. Clinton Stewart (Minion Design)

May 5, 2008 at 5:44 pm

If anyone knows where I can buy these t shirts from I would really like o know. I have Kareem and James Worthy Ts which have been rendered see through from many years of wear. I would love some new ones!!!

21. Noel

October 7, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Who was the artist that did the Dream Team photo?

22. e1

September 13, 2009 at 2:36 am

23. Dexter T-Shirts

June 29, 2010 at 6:42 am

Interesting stuff, the design of these T-shirts are very appealing and funny too. As I am a great fan of American team would love to buy such t-shirts if still available.

24. wholesale artful dodger

August 24, 2010 at 1:15 am

Funny, I want this to add on my collection, hope this is still available.

-mikee

25. Boxgroove

November 2, 2010 at 8:10 am

I still remember there was a time when I only use to watch Basketball and I was a big fan of NY Strawberry team but I hardly get time to watch this but thanks to your blog I still getting some news. I had recently joined public Golf Course in Columbus and it is really a good fun.