John Feinstein and his book on two riveting New York pitchers

Living_on_the_black_by_john_feins_2 We can’t say we’ve read this one yet, because we haven’t, but we can say that this might be the least possible interesting topic for any baseball fan, including Mets and Yankees fans.

Pretty sure neither one has/was never really accepted by their respective fan bases, and neither one is interesting enough to appeal to anyone else, so the point of this book is a little unclear.

Our favorite part might be where it says "One Season to Remember."

Regardless, here’s a look at some of Feinstein’s other book ideas that didn’t make the cut but had equal potential to capture the hearts of New York baseball fans.

****

Living On a Week: Gregg Jeffries and Kevin Maas — Two Hitters, Two Teams, One Shitstorm

162 Games and 162 Suits: The Derek Bell Bet

I Played for the Yankees and Mets Once: The Shane Spencer Story

Doug Mientkiewicz: I Too Played for the Yankees and Mets Once

Armando Benitez: Why I Will Kill You if You Mention that I Played for the Yankees and Mets Once

Miguel Cairo: You Won’t Believe This, But I Spent Some Time on Both New York Baseball Teams

Ricky Ledee: Why I Still Wear My Old Yankees Jersey but Also Like the Mets

Sal Fasano: Beyond the Mustache and Why I Haven’t Played for the Mets Yet

Looking Like a Guy in the Stands But Actually Playing for a Team: A Year In the Life of John Franco

Shea Was Pretty Gay: The Mo Vaughn Diary

Why I Haven’t Spoken Until Now: A Really Long Rafael Santana Interview

Alviro Espinosa: Joining the Team with Kevin Maas

Stealing Second and Stealing Gloves: An Inexplicable Look at Ricky Henderson and Ruben Rivera

Karim Garica: How I Played for the Yanks and Mets but Still Remain a Mystery to Pedro Martinez

Carl Pavano: And Where the Hell Was I?

Pickup Basketball and the Trajectory of Life: Aaron Boone’s Journey

Jose Canseco Talks About Yankee Stadium and Absolutely Nothing Else

Chuck Knoblauch: Throwing My Career Away (it’s a pun, get it!)

1. Aram

May 16, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Buffets should be 24/7: The life on the road with Peter Abraham

May 16, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Nice one, Peter Abraham can’t believe the free buffet.

3. Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

May 16, 2008 at 2:12 pm

No, no, no Mr. Feinstein, I’m afraid the correct answer is, who gives a sheeeet.

4. How do you spell retard?

May 16, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Even the cover is making me sleepy. Looks about as interesting as a Tim Duncan interview.

5. charlie

May 16, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Maybe it’s just a list of things in Moose’s apartment.

6. JA

May 16, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Running the Football: The Bill Cowher Story

7. Soy

May 16, 2008 at 4:25 pm

New York: The True Story of How it Became the Minnesota Twins’ Farm System (Or “We’d Even Take Eric Milton Back if We Could Right Now”) by Mike Lupica’s Rose-Colored Glasses

8. The Kid

May 17, 2008 at 8:18 am

Butch Huskey, Mostly Because He Said So

9. JJ

May 17, 2008 at 11:57 am

FEINSTIEN’S A JACKASS!THIS BOOK IS 500 HUNDRED PAGES FOR THESE TWO JERK’S!! THE COMBINED LIFE STORIES OF MAY’S , MANTLE AND RUTH DOON’T TAKE UP THAT MUCH PRINT…GIVE US A BREAK!!!

10. BravenBold

June 28, 2008 at 12:25 am

There are so many errors in Living on the Black that it takes away from a otherwise well done book. For example, the Diamondbacks, not the Rockies as Feinstein wrote, came into the National League in 1998. Also, it was the Mets and Phillies that were tied for first place in the NL East on the last day of the 07 season, not the Mets and the Nationals as written. These are unacceptable errors for a so called, “Big time sports author.”

11. henry

September 18, 2008 at 6:33 pm

There is a man named Julio Franco. He is a repairman. When his son was in third grade in 1997 Julio Franco went into his son?s class to speak about being a repairman. All the boy?s in Julio Franco?s son?s class ran up to Julio Franco when he walked into the classroom. The boys all yelled to Julio Franco?s son, ?I did know your dad was John Franco.? Well, most of the boys yelled. Some did not at first, but when the other boys began yelling about John Franco, the ones who were initially silent joined in. Julio Franco looks very similar to John Franco, but he is not John Franco. He is not related to John Franco. Julio Franco?s son does not follow baseball. He likes building computers. He does not know who John Franco is. The boys in Julio Franco?s son?s class were disappointed when Julio Franco said, ?I am Julio Franco and I am a repairman.? One boy put his head down on his desk and began crying. Some of the other boys copied this boy and did the same.